Let’s face it: not everyone likes the trackpad. In some cases, there are those who look for a mouse right after buying a computer, either out of taste or in search of more ergonomics. But did you know that you can disable your computer peripheral through the operating system settings? Next, discover how to disable laptop touchpad with Windows 10, Windows 11 and macOS.
How to enable or disable the touchpad in Windows
Microsoft offers options to disable the touchpad in Windows. However, it should be noted that the procedure to disable the peripheral is different in Windows 10 and Windows 11. Learn how in the following step-by-step:
Necessary time: 2 minutes.
- Go to Windows Settings
- Click on the “Devices” option
- Access the “Touchpad” menu
On the side, click on the “Touchpad” option;
- Disable touchpad
If you don’t want to completely disable the touchpad, you can make it idle only when a USB mouse is connected to the notebook.
To do this, you need to click on or off in the “Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected” checkbox.
- Access Windows settings from the Start menu;
- Click on “Bluetooth and Devices” in the sidebar;
- Choose the “Touchpad” option;
- Enable or disable the “Touchpad” option to turn the peripheral on or off.
Still in trouble?
The procedure is quite simple, but it is not immune to failures. By the Microsoft community, some users of the operating system reported that they did not find the option to disable the trackpad through Windows settings. And if that’s your case, don’t worry, because there are solutions.
The first is through Device Manager. For this, after connecting a new mouse to your computerjust perform the following procedure:
- Press Windows + X keys at the same time;
- Go to “Device Manager”;
- Look for the Touchpad and click on this option twice;
- Click the “Disable” button to disable the trackpad.
Some computers also have specific keys to turn off the built-in peripheral. These shortcuts are usually identified by the mouse or touchpad symbol on a function key (F1, F2, F3, etc). Therefore, it is important to check the computer manual before performing the procedure.
How to disable trackpad on Mac
The Mac also allows you to disable the trackpad, but for a little workaround. Find out how below:
- Click on the Apple menu;
- Choose the “System Preferences” option;
- Click on the “Accessibility” button;
- Access the “Cursor Control” page;
- Check the “Ignore built-in trackpad if a wireless mouse or trackpad is connected” option.
What are trackpad gestures and how do they work on Mac
O Mac trackpad offers several gestures to facilitate the use of the system. As with the iPhone and iPad, you can use the pinch command to increase and decrease the size of photos and the like. You can also search by tapping text with three fingers at the same time, for example.